Username Password: Remember me

Mysis Shrimp
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mysis Shrimp

Mysis Shrimp 1 year, 8 months ago #32060

• prybis
  • Gold Boarder
After watching videos and searching the web, I finally sat down and ties up some Mysis Shrimp to use for Tenkara. I am hoping the gills and trout will love these. Only time will tell. I started with size 14 then went to size 16. Here are the pics. Let me know what you think.

What other Mysis patterns does everyone tie and fish? I know these are not as good as Fred but I am giving it a try.

Mike P.
Mike P.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeffro

Re: Mysis Shrimp 1 year, 8 months ago #32061

• Cold
  • Platinum Boarder
Nice ties!

I haven't used them in a few years, but this was the pattern I eventually settled on when I was using them:

dharmaofthedrift.blogspot.com

Fly Fishing. Fly Tying. Photography.

Re: Mysis Shrimp 1 year, 8 months ago #32068

• cutter
  • Expert Boarder
These are mine:

cutter

Re: Mysis Shrimp 1 year, 8 months ago #32073

prybis, those look pretty nice! Definately catch some fish on them.
cold, could you post a recipe for yours? Thanks.
Lynn

Re: Mysis Shrimp 1 year, 8 months ago #32078

• Cold
  • Platinum Boarder
cold, could you post a recipe for yours? Thanks.

No problem. It's been a while since I've tied/fished them (they didn't seem to produce any better than any other nymph that was easier to tie, and I rarely nymph anyway), but here's what I remember:

Hook: Any long continuous bend nymph hook.
Thread: Cream 8/0
Underbody: .020 lead wire.
Antennae: Mallard or pintail barred flank feather fibers
Mouthparts: Fluff from the base of a cream hackle feather
Eyes: Black mono eyes, wrapped in some rabbit dubbing

Abdomen:

-Tie in copper wire, extending over the bend
-Tie in a piece of thin skin (mottled oak, iirc) for the shell
-Coat lead underbody in a layer of spiky cream dubbing (I think I used hare mixed with angora goat or seal or something)
-Pull thin skin over the back, tie off & trim
-Wrap wire, tie off & trim

Whip finish, and pick out underside with a toothbrush.

Easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy.

NOTE: Tied this one up tonight...couldn't locate the thin skin in the mess that I call my tying bench...scud back used as a substitute...

Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by Cold. Reason: Added picture.

Re: Mysis Shrimp 1 year, 8 months ago #32123

Thanks, Cold. I think I'll tie up a few and see if the cromers on the Erie tribs like them.
Lynn

Re: Mysis Shrimp 1 year, 8 months ago #32126

• Cold
  • Platinum Boarder
Note: I was discussing this pattern with a few friends on FB (I used the above pic for that day in my Project 365), and he suggested that it was too big. After reading his sources, (which apparently differed from those I read when coming up with it), he's right. The above is tied on a #14, but should probably be more of a #18. I'll have to update this one and give it another go on the water.

Edit: The image shown uses lemon wood duck instead of mallard for the antennae. May not matter, but in the interests of full disclosure, I wanted to mention it. I wouldn't recommend this alteration if you're buying your own duck plumage, but I have a bag from a friend.

Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by Cold.

Re: Mysis Shrimp 1 year, 8 months ago #32129

• prybis
  • Gold Boarder
Looks good Cold and Cutter.
Mike P.

Re: Mysis Shrimp 1 year, 8 months ago #32140

• cutter
  • Expert Boarder
prybis
Mine use bead chain eyes for weight. The ones shown are from an old photograph and I believe they were either 14 or 12 in size. I tied with brackish water tributary to the Chesapeake Bay (here in MD) in mind. I regret to tell you that they are not yet field tested but have intentions of throwing the canoe in when the weather warms again and getting with it. The stripers venture up here pretty far foraging bait fish in the summer evenings so I'll need to get a few more patterns in the arsenal.That crab was my first and only attempt so far at a crab pattern. I plan to get a better and simpler tie down for them.

Hat's off to Cold's pattern as well - nice & buggy in a shrimp sort of way, mine seem a little too leggy now that I see ya'lls. I always seem to like everyone else's patterns better than my own lol.

Your flies look great, when do they get the test?
cutter

Re: Mysis Shrimp 1 year, 8 months ago #32145

• Cold
  • Platinum Boarder
I was talking to a buddy of mine that lives on the Erie tribs, and he said mine was way too big at 12-14. He said up there, most of the success on mysis patterns comes in the 18-20 size range...

So...I downsized...

#20 Mysis...more or less the same recipe. A bit more flash, a bit less particular.

Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by Cold.

Re: Mysis Shrimp 1 year, 8 months ago #32149

• cutter
  • Expert Boarder
Wow, that's great Cold. I can't imagine getting all that stuff on a #20 and keeping the proportions as nice as that. When I think of it, the grass shrimp I'm trying to mimic around here are much smaller so I might have to break out some #20's and give it an attempt for the bluegills and trout. May be a little small for the stripers though.

Thanks for sharing,
cutter

Re: Mysis Shrimp 1 year, 8 months ago #32155

• Cold
  • Platinum Boarder
Once you drop much below 16, it turns into little more than a glorified scud with a tail...and eyes on the butt end.

Re: Mysis Shrimp 1 year, 8 months ago #32169

Thanks again Cold. I'll try the smaller hooks.
Lynn

Re: Mysis Shrimp 1 year, 7 months ago #32375

I haven't been on here in ages, so it's about time. I love tying and fishing mysis patterns. There is a strong population in Palisades Reservoir here in eastern Idaho and they come out of the turbines. The big fish wait an gobble them up with abandon. I got tired of tying some of the more fancy patterns, so, as I was tying some small midge patterns the other day, I hit upon an idea for a mysis pattern. We fished it the next day and it slayed them. The next weekend my youngest son went again to the same stretch of river and he and a friend killed it again, so it appears not to be a fluke.

Here is the recipe:

KG's South Fork Mysis:

Hook: Dai Riki 135 Scud hook, size 18
Bead: 3/32 Silver
Thread: Monofilament tying thread, size x-small
Tail: One strand of pearl Krystal Flash
Abdomen: First wrapped with pearl Krystal Flash and then over-wrapped with clear monofilament tying thread
Thorax: Pearl Ice Dub

Best Fishes,

Kelly.
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by kglissmeyer.

Re: Mysis Shrimp 1 year, 7 months ago #32377

• Bass_Bug
Welcome Kelly, glad you found us again, and very nice pattern you have there. That's also great photo clarity for an #18.
Bass_Bug

email Bass_Bug ( This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it )

Re: Mysis Shrimp 1 year, 7 months ago #32378

Bass_Bug wrote:
Welcome Kelly, glad you found us again, and very nice pattern you have there. That's also great photo clarity for an #18.

Thanks! it's good to be back. I've been writing a bit for a few of the magazines, so I had to step up my photo quality. I should have something soon in Fly Tyer...

Kelly.
  • Page:
Moderators: Bass_Bug, NJTroutbum, DMac
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds

FlyTyer Login

Login Information