Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Offset Hooks
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Offset Hooks

Offset Hooks 1 year, 11 months ago #31900

All,

I got some Eagle Claw #2 Octopus hooks off of ebay (200 for $8). I got and opened up the package last night, and the hooks have an offset eye. This was an unexpected surprise. I've never tied with offset hooks, so I sat down at the bench to try my hand. All seems fairly straight forward (pun intended), however I'm curious about how they will act in the water. Do I need to adjust anything to ensure the flies will swim straight?

Mook

Re: Offset Hooks 1 year, 11 months ago #31902

• Cold
  • Platinum Boarder
If the flies are decent sized, so that the hook isn't where 95% of the weight is located, they should be okay.

In my experience (though with much smaller hooks), offset hooks are a pain in the vise, but just fine, maybe even better, at all points once they leave those jaws.
dharmaofthedrift.blogspot.com

Fly Fishing. Fly Tying. Photography.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MookLawrence

Re: Offset Hooks 1 year, 3 months ago #33726

I saw that this is an older thread, but I haven't been on here in awhile myself. I've tied on offset hooks many times without any problems. Recently purchased some long shank 3/0 Eagle Claw hooks to make some poppers for Bluefish. These hooks have an offset, but I've used them before & for many, many years. I've known others to say they won't track straight & I guess that's possible depending on how the fly is constructed, but that's never been my experience. The only problem you might encounter is having them snag more if you use them around debris, vegetation or other such snags since the point is not inline with the shank, and most of the typical weed guards don't work well with an offset hook. I mostly tie streamers & poppers on such hooks, and use them in open water so have no problems with snagging either.
  • Page:
Moderators: Bass_Bug, NJTroutbum, DMac
Time to create page: 0.15 seconds

FlyTyer Login

Login Information